Stem cell therapy is a leading edge medical solution for the treatment of osteoarthritis in dogs. VetStem regenerative stem cells use your own animal’s natural healing cells from their fat tissue. It has been shown in published clinical trials to reduce pain and lameness.
Stem cells: By the numbers
90 days after treatment*
85% of owners would recommend the procedure
80% of dogs showed an improved quality of life (according to owners and veterinarians)
62% of dogs discontinued or reduced their use of non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
*Satisfaction surveys of pet owners and veterinarians. Data on file.
How do Stem Cells Work?
Stem cells are programmed to repair the body. They wait attached to blood vessels throughout the body until needed.
When damage occurs, signals are sent to attract the stem cells providing information about the nature of the problem. The cells ‘listen’ then coordinate the best response to the problem.
Stem cells can work in different ways:
- Block pain signals
- Reduce inflammation
- Stimulate cell regeneration
- Stimulate the formation of new blood vessels
- Limit the formation of scar tissue
- Help control the immune system response
- Reduce damaged tissue cell death
Murphy M., Moncivais K. and Caplan A. “Mesenchymal stem cells: environmentally responsive therapeutics for regenerative medicine”. Experimental & Molecular Medicine (2013) 45, e54; doi 10.1038/ emm.2013.94.
do Silva Meirelles, L., Chagostelles, P C., Nardi, N. 8.. Mesenchymal stem cells reside in virtually all post-natal organs and tissues. Journal of cell science, (2006) 119(11), 2204-2213.
- Fat tissue is collected by our veterinarian during a minor surgical procedure and sent to the laboratory.
- VetStem trained technicians extract and concentrate your dog’s own stem cells and prepare therapeutic doses per your veterinarian’s instructions.
- Within 48 hours, millions of healing cells are shipped back to our veterinarian for injection. Any remaining cells are cryogenically frozen and stored for future use.
Stem cell therapy helps family dog Zeke get his bounce back
“It has been four months since the stem cell injections … Zeke has definitely improved. He no longer needs help getting up. He does not whimper in pain. He has a bounce in his step that I forgot existed and hikes are no longer sheer drudgery. Thank you!” —Tracey
Over 85% of dog owners would recommend VetStem to others’
Vixen’s injury could have been career ending…
“In February 2006, Vixen was injured and rendered essentially a three legged dog. Exploratory surgery revealed she lost a chip of cartilage off her right hip joint. Through the efforts of VetStem and Dr. Daryl Mobley, Vixen received stem cell treatments, recovered fully, and is competing in top form at almost 10 years old.” —Shanon M.
*For orthopedic conditions 85% of dog owners would recommend VetStem regenerative stem cell therapy to others
Is stem-cell therapy right for my dog?
- Does your dog suffer from pain and reduced mobility from osteoarthritis or other orthopedic condition?
- Are you seeking an alternative to long-term NSAID therapy for your dog?
- Is your dog not responding well to NSAIDS, or not able to tolerate NSAIDS?
- Will your dog be having an orthopedic surgery?
Stem cells could help improve the healing process.
If you answered yes to any of these questions stem cell therapy could be the answer for your dog. Talk to your veterinarian.
StemInsure: Bank now, use Later
If your dog is undergoing anesthesia (for a dental cleaning for example), you have the option to collect some tissue now and have it sent to us. We will preserve it for future use. You pay a minimal fee upfront and the balance if and when you need it (ask your veterinarian about our Stemlnsure program).